Glendale Community Protests Harsnakar Murder
BY GAREN YEGPARIAN
A crowd gathered outside the Los Angeles Consulate General of the Republic of Armenia to protest, once again, the murder of Vahe Avetyan and deliver a series of demands to the government of the Armenia.
One of the participants was Avetyan’s cousin. He made a heartfelt plea that the laws of the land be implemented and simple justice be served upon those who murdered his relative.
The approximately hour-long protest drew a photographer from the Glendale News Press and the Glendale police department.
Consulate staff allowed only one person to enter the building from among the demonstrators to deliver the demands, which are
1. An emergency session of the Armenia’s National Assembly be convened;
2. The Prosecutor General indict Rouben Hayrapetyan as a codefendant in the Avetyan murder case;
3. Hayrapetian be dismissed from the National Assembly for violating its rules prohibiting entrepreneurial activity by sitting Deputies.
4. An impartial investigation be conducted of Hayrapetyan’s offenses and Avetyan’s murder
5. Hayrapetian be dismissed from his post as President of the Football Federation of Armenia.
Future protests will be held at the same location on Sundays at 1:00 pm, with a special demonstration planned for Avetyan’s Forty Day memorial.