Davutoglu’s Armenian Adviser Says He ‘Retired’ in March

The 'retired' adviser to Turkey's prime minister, Etyene Mahcupyan

ANKARA—Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s Armenian adviser, Etyen Mahcupyan, who was reported to have called the events of 1915 Genocide, confirmed on Thursday that he “retired” on March 9, the day he turned 65, reported the Today’s Zaman newspaper.

After Mahcupyan’s remarks on the Armenian Genocide, sources at Turkish prime minister’s office told the media of his retirement. Mahçupyan confirmed the news of his retirement earlier on Thursday, saying that he was “automatically” removed from the post on March 9, but that he continues his job on an “honorary” basis.

“I am currently abroad and I continue my work [as a prime ministerial adviser]. The only difference is that I no longer get paid,” he told Hurriyet daily’s website.

But Prime Ministry officials appeared to differ about implications of the retirement. “Mr. Mahcupyan is no longer the chief adviser of our prime minister. His duties have ceased due to his retirement,” a source in Davutoglu’s office was quoted as saying by Reuters. “He was a figure whom our prime minister has consulted with and valued prior to him becoming an adviser, and this relationship will continue. But he no longer holds the official title of chief adviser,” the source said, reported Today’s Zaman.

It was not clear why the announcement of the retirement took a month and why Mahcupyan continued to use his title as prime ministerial adviser after March 9.

Prime Ministry sources quoted by private broadcaster CNN Türk said the retirement was not linked to the “latest developments,” apparently in reference to his recent remarks on the Armenian genocide.

Mahcupyan, appointed to his post by Davutoglu in October 2014, created a stir when he said it was impossible not to accept that Armenians were subject to genocide during the final years of the Ottoman Empire.

“It is impossible not to describe what was done to the Armenians in 1915 as genocide while what happened in Bosnia and Africa is accepted as genocide,” Mahcupyan reportedly told a website, karar.com, earlier this week.

He also defended Pope Francis’ characterization of the 1915 events as “the first genocide of the 20th century,” saying the Vatican has finally dispensed with a “100-year psychological burden.”

Earlier on Thursday, Turkey’s European Union Affairs Minister Volkan Bozkır criticized Mahcupyan for his remarks, saying it was unsuitable for a prime minister’s adviser.

“I consider his statement a personal one, made as a Turkish citizen. Of course, this perspective does not become a Turkish citizen either,” Bozkır said in an interview with CNN Türk.


Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.


  1. GB said:

    We all knew that Mahcupyan position was temporary! Foxy Davood Oghloo failed again!

  2. State-Of-Emergency said:

    That’s odd, he is appointed in October 2014 only to retire 5 months later? There is some monkey business in this whole affair. Now he says he is retired but still advising while the Prime Ministry officials say his duties have ceased due to his retirement. To add to the confusion, Turkey’s European Union Affairs Minister Volkan Bozkır criticized Mahcupyan for his remarks, saying it was unsuitable for a prime minister’s adviser. I thought he was retired?

    So which is it and why so much confusion? Someone’s head is going to roll, but first we’ll have to put up with more lies and deceitful comments.

  3. Marshall said:

    The in tire region has suffered in the hands of Turks they are nothing but savages and they are showing there face to the whole world!

  4. SA said:

    It’s completely clear that he was removed from his position after his remarks. I guess their plans of having an Armenian at a high level position backfired when he courageously stood firm and defended the truth. Hopefully they won’t assassinate them.

  5. Vindicated Man said:

    Looks like the Turkish government backdated the old man’s HR documents, because he’d been simply set up. That country is full of cheap con artists, even at very high levels.

  6. vartan said:

    why Turkish politicians are so stupid , stop lying , the whole world knows you. you are killers and murderers and why are you trying to silence the history.

  7. Canada-Hai said:

    I never thought there was anything more degrading for an Armenian to do than work on salary for the turkish government. Apparently there is. Working pro bono for the turkish government.

    Perhaps Mahcupyan’s advisory services may better serve the Sarkisian administration.
    I wonder if Etyene would instead consider offering his pro bono services to further the Armenian cause?

  8. mgl said:

    Mr. Mahsupyan is a real man, not ass kisser, like turks want him to be. Great man!

  9. Hrac said:

    They hired him as chief adviser because they thought he would do some damage control during the centennial of the genocide. He provided some help by saying the President of Armenia should attend the Galipoli ceremony on April 24, to normalize the relations between the 2 countries. The Turkish government probably expected him to make a statement denying the genocide, after the announcement by the Pope. If he had done that, he would have secured his job as prime minister’s adviser. But Mahcupyan is 66 years old and has always said it was a genocide. He is well known as an honest intellectual which is a rare breed in Turkey and it’s stupid to expect him to become a genocide denier after all those years.