GLENDALE—Once again, fifty children are enjoying a 2-week day camp at the Armenian youth centers in Akhaltskha and Akhalkalak in Javakhk (Georgia). AYF counselors and camp directors are pouring their energy into brightening the lives of the youth in Javakhk through the day camp. The Armenian Relief Society of Western USA (ARS) Javakhk Fund provided funding for the campers, while continuing to pay for the operational costs for the two centers, which were inaugurated during 2006-2007.
“Javakhk is a fragment of our homeland,” said ARS Regional Executive Co-Chairperson Maral Matossian, adding, “the West Coast school students’ efforts through coin banks provided substantial funding to the youth centers sponsored by the ARS Javakhk Fund. We are genuinely impressed by their effectiveness and thank each student and the community for their support.”
Local youth from kindergartens through high schools, in addition to ARS one-day schools, provided funding through a unique educational program, which teaches both charity and Javakhk history through coin drives. This year, participation was remarkable with a total of $18,333 raised, since the same youth have contributed to so many causes throughout the year. The school names, locations and donated amounts follow:
- ARS Anahid Saturday School, San Fernando Valley: $636
- ARS Arax Saturday School, South Bay: $125
- ARS Lori Saturday School, North SF Valley: $277
- ARS Mayr Hollywood Chapter Saturday School: $799
- ARS Meghry Chapter’s Saturday School, N. Hollywood: $128
- ARS Sepan Chapter Saturday School, Glendale: $354
- ARS Sevan Chapter Saturday School, Orange County: $355
- ARS Sosse Chapter’s School, Pasadena: $335
- C&E Merdinian Armenian Evangelical School, Sherman Oaks: $385
- Holy Martyrs A.R.S. Ashkhen Pilavjian Preschool, Encino: $1,575
- Holy Martyrs Ferrahian High School, Encino: $4,311
- Krouzian Zekarian Vasbouragan Armenian School, San Francisco: $800
- Mesrobian Armenian School, Pico Rivera: $426
- Rose & Alex Pilibos Armenian School, Hollywood: $3,235
- St. Mary’s Richard Tufenkian Preschool, Glendale: $2,390
- Vahan & Anoush Chamlian Armenian School, Glendale: $2,202
The ARS Javakhk Fund Committee members and other volunteers painstakingly counted the coins and bills, and worked throughout the year to publicize and raise funds to alleviate the plight of the Armenians of Javakhk.
The ARS Regional Executive appreciates the efforts of our long-time volunteers, as well as the budding youth, who have started on a path were feelings are converted into energy to actually do good and change conditions for fellow brothers and sisters.
The Armenian Relief Society of Western USA, established in 1984 and with regional headquarters in Glendale, CA, has 26 chapters and almost 1,200 members in four western states. The ARS operates a Social Services Division and Child, Youth, and Family Guidance Center, and funds numerous youth programs, scholarships, and relief efforts. For further information or to make a donation, please visit www.arswestusa.org or mail your check to: ARS Javakhk Fund, 517 W. Glenoaks Blvd., Glendale, CA 91202-2812.