26 Former Police Officers Face Trial in Hrant Dink Murder

The late Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink
The late Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink

The late Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink

ISTANBUL (Hurriyet Daily News)—A total of 26 former police officers may face trial as the indictment in the nine-year-long investigation into negligence by public officials in the assassination of prominent Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink has been approved by an Istanbul prosecutor’s office, daily Hurriyet has reported.

The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on December 9 approved the indictment prepared against 26 former officers, including police chiefs, into “negligence on public duty” in the shooting death of Dink, the editor-in-chief of weekly Agos, who was shot dead outside his office in Istanbul’s Sisli district on Jan. 19, 2007.

The indictment prepared by prosecutor Gokalp Kokcu was presented to the Istanbul 14th Court for Serious Crimes after it had been rejected by deputy chief prosecutor Orhan Kapici twice.

The 26 former police officers could be tried on “negligence of public duty” charges if the court recognizes the indictment. The court is expected to announce its decision within 15 days.

Individuals facing prison sentences on charges of “forming and heading a terrorist organization” were among the 26 suspects.

Having been rejected twice before, lawyers representing the Dink family expressed the reaction against the indictment in the investigation returning to Kokcu. The return means that cases will likely not be opened against the suspects.

The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office returned the indictment to Kokcu in early November, arguing that “evidence of voluntary manslaughter concerning some of the suspects was not revealed.”

However, Hakan Bakircioglu, a Dink family lawyer, said on Nov. 4 that not opening a case against former police chiefs Ahmet Ilhan Guler, Celalettin Cerrah, Resat Altay, Engin Dinc and other suspects, would exclude their integral responsibility in Dink’s murder.

Recalling the first two versions of the indictment, the latest one drafted in late October, Bakircioglu said the two indictments charged former police chiefs Ali Fuat Yılmazer, Ramazan Akyurek, Tamer Bulent Demirel and Osman Gulbel each with “voluntary manslaughter,” Engin Dinc, Resat Altay and Ahmet Ilhan Guler each with “voluntary manslaughter due to negligence” and Sabri Uzun and Celalettin Cerrah each with “malpractice.”

“Despite resistance and barriers in front of the interrogation and investigation of public servants who took part in Dink’s murder, they were interrogated and investigated by the prosecutor [in charge of the case],” Bakircioglu said.

All the names of the suspects implicated in the investigation were reported to have been on duty in police departments in Istanbul, Ankara and the Black Sea province of Trabzon at the time of Dink’s murder.Dink was shot dead outside his office building in Istanbul’s Sisli district on Jan. 19, 2007, by 17-year-old Ogun Samast.

Relatives and followers of the case have claimed government officials, police, military personnel and members of Turkey’s National Intelligence Agency (MIT) played a role in Dink’s murder by neglecting their duty to protect the journalist.


Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.