Nalbandian Says Baku Did Not Achieve its Goals

Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian
Edward Nalbandian

Edward Nalbandian

YEREVAN (RFE/RL)—Armenian-Azerbaijani peace talks could and should resume following the deadliest fighting around Nagorno-Karabakh registered since 1994, according to Armenia’s Foreign Minister Nalbandian.

In televised remarks broadcast late on Wednesday, Nalbandian said Azerbaijan “will have to return to the negotiating process” after what he described as a failure of its attempt to forcibly end the Karabakh conflict.

“I think that nobody needs new hostilities and wars,” he told Armenian Public Television. “We should carry on with the negotiation path and try to find a way of solving the problem only through peace negotiations. I think that is possible.”

Nalbandian claimed that Baku launched offensive military operations at the northern and southern sections of the Karabakh “line of contact” after failing to clinch more concessions from the Armenians as well as international mediators. “The goal was obvious: to solve the problem by military means,” he said.

“I think that Azerbaijan failed to achieve its minimum and maximum goals,” added Nalbandian. “It will now have to return to the negotiation process…and continue negotiations.”

“Of course, it’s not easy to restart negotiations,” said Nalbandian. “Appropriate conditions need to be put in place, and that’s what the three co-chairs are trying to do.”

The minister did not say whether he or other Armenian officials could hold such talks with their Azerbaijani counterparts in the coming weeks.

The mediators said in Yerevan on Saturday that they stand by their Basic Principles of a Karabakh settlement, a framework peace accord drafted about a decade ago and repeatedly modified since then. The document envisages the conduct of a referendum in Karabakh on the disputed territory’s status after the return to Azerbaijan of surrounding Armenian-controlled districts.

Presidents Serzh Sarkisian and Ilham Aliyev came very close to cutting a peace deal along these lines at a 2011 meeting in Kazan, Russia. Yerevan accused Aliyev of scuttling the deal with last-minute additional conditions.

Nalbandian insisted that the document discussed at Kazan is still on the table but would not clarify whether the mediators have amended it in any way. He stressed only that “the main essence of this negotiating process is that Karabakh can never become part of Azerbaijan.”

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

5 Comments

  1. hye said:

    Nalbandian says Baku didn’t acheive it’s goal. How would Nalbandian know.

  2. Samuel Darbinian said:

    Edward Nalbandian , so called Armenian foreign minster. has been in TV to deceive population, with his hogwash pledge ,invites Azaries again negotiate with Armenia, despite of that, he has been part of that failed negotiation from 1994 up to this day, instead of at least direct azaries for solution of problems to negotiate with Artsakh representatives. he is intentionally misleading reality of the problem
    to satisfy his foreign masters interests.

    encourage

  3. Saaten Maagar said:

    Yes, Aliyev did not achieve his goal. So are we waiting for the time when he does achieve???
    A golden opportunity is in our hands to add to the domestic pressure on Aliyev vis a vis the Panama Papers and the Armenian media is oblivious to use it. Can not understand this mentality.
    We need to scream repeatedly about this and if need be blow it out of proportions not only in Armenian media but more importantly, to make the international media aware and pressure them to publicise it as much as possible. Each and every one of us can do this to some extent but the failure of the Armenian media outlets is unbelievable.

*

Top