TARC Members Blame Eachother for Demise

YEREVAN (Noyan Tapan)–"The Turkish side violated the earlier reached agreement and cannot be trusted any longer," said Alexander Arzoumanian–Chairman of the Armenian National Movement and ex-minister of Foreign Affairs. The violation of the Armenian commissioners’ trust is what drove the Armenian members’ to leave the Turkish-Armenian Reconciliation Commission. "And trust," according the former member of the Commission–"is a pre-condition in such activities."

The Turkish members of the Commission demanded that the "International Center of Transitional Justice" stop examining the applicability of the UN Convention on Genocide of 1948 toward the Armenian Genocide. The members of the Commission all agreed at their November meeting in New York to ask the Center to examine whether or not the Armenian Genocide qualified as a "genocide."

Under such circumstances–Arzoumanian emphasized–the Armenian members had no other option than to leave the Commission. According to him–the Armenian members never called into question the historical fact of the Armenian Genocide and only agreed to ask for a review from the "International Center of Transitional Justice" to shift the issue onto legal grounds.

He found it difficult to comment on the reasons for the Turkish side’s unexpected action–pointing out that perhaps the Turkish side was afraid of the possible negative reaction by the Turkish state because of the discussion of the Armenian Genocide at the Center.

Arzoumanian did not exclude the possibility of continuing contacts with the Turkish representatives and said the Commission members are likely to make a joint statement in the near future.

"The five months of work was an important step. They will be useful in the future if they decide to resume reconciliation efforts," stated Arzoumanian.

TARC appeared in tatters on Wednesday after its Armenian members stopped their participation in the controversial initiative–accusing their Turkish counterparts of backtracking on a recent agreement to seek an independent study on the 1915 genocide.

The four Armenian participants said they informed a US mediator that the commission "is not going to proceed" because its Turkish members "unilaterally" told a New York-based human rights organization not to undertake a study on whether the 1948 UN Genocide Convention is applicable to the Armenian massacres.

They argued that the unexpected Turkish move undermines mutual trust among TARC members.

The decision to request such an analysis from the International Center for Transitional Justice was taken at the most recent meeting of TARC in New York late last month.

The move was touted as an important element in the US-backed dialogue between the two estranged nations.

"Mutual trust and respect for agreemen’s is vital for the success of any joint undertaking and our commission in particular," Alexander Arzoumanian–a TARC member and Armenia’s former foreign minister–told RFE/RL. "Since these principles have been undermined[by the Turkish side]–we Armenian members found it expedient to stop our participation for the time being."

Arzoumanian and his Armenian colleagues suggested that the Turkish commissioners–among them a former foreign minister and retired top diplomats–were apparently pressurized by official Ankara into withdrawing their consent to the genocide study. They at the same time stressed that the commission has not formally ceased to exist and may still resume its activities.

"I think it might be premature to consider it dead," said Arpi Vartanian of the Armenian Assembly of America–a Washington-based lobbying group and a key backer of the reconciliation initiative.

Arzoumanian agreed–saying that the contacts between the two sides will continue. "We will discuss the situation and try to look for ways out of this situation together," he said.

One Armenian source close to the commission told RFE/RL that "the next step is up to the Turkish members."I think that they should go back to their government and decide what to do next," the source said.

Meanwhile–opponents of the Turkish-Armenian initiative declared on Wednesday that the row over the international genocide study vindicates their belief that Turkey is not prepared for dialogue.

The most vocal critic–the Armenian Revolutionary Federation–described the statement by the Armenian members of TARC as a "belated recognition" of its failure. The nationalist party’s worldwide governing Bureau reiterated its view that TARC’s creation last July was a Turkish ploy to derail international recognition of the Armenian genocide.

"Any Turkish-Armenian dialogue will yield results only after Turkey accepts the historic fact of the Armenian Genocide–something which can not be a subject of bargaining," the ARF body said in a statement in Yerevan.

A spokeswoman for the Armenian National Committee of America–said the near collapse of TARC "puts aside a barrier" to the genocide recognition campaign. Elizabeth Chuljian told RFE/RL from Washington that the ANCA will step up its lobbying efforts on Capitol Hill after the latest developmen’s.

The Armenian Assembly’s Vartanian–however–insisted that the direct contacts between prominent Armenia’s and Turks should continue. "That work still must go forward," she said. "In what form–in what way and by whom–remains to be seen."

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

*

Top