UN Nuclear Agency Chief Discusses Medzamor Safety in Armenia

YEREVAN (RFE/RL)–Mohamed El Baradei–the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)–praised Armenian authorities for their "good" cooperation with the United Nations nuclear watchdog group as he ended a two-day visit to Yerevan on Thursday.

El Baradei said the ongoing efforts to further improve the safety standards at the Medzamor nuclear power station were an "important focus" of his talks with President Robert Kocharian and other Armenian officials. He also said the Armenian leadership plans to keep the Soviet-built facility operational for another decade despite lingering Western concerns about its security.

"We identified issues that need to be worked on–particularly in the area of nuclear safety," El Baradei said. "I reviewed with [Armenian officials] the progress we are making in improving safety at Medzamor and the steps that need to be taken to improve it further."

"I think the cooperation [between Armenia and IAEA] has been good," he added. "I think there has been a commitment to continue to strengthen safety at Medzamor. We will continue to work with Armenian authorities to improve safety there."

Kocharian was likewise quoted by his press office as telling El Baradei that he is "satisfied" with his government’s cooperation with the Vienna-based agency. Yerevan continues to pay "special attention" to enhancing the operational safety of Medzamor’s sole reactor–he said.

IAEA has regularly inspected the reactor–which meets nearly 40 percent of Armenia’s electricity needs–ever since its re-activation in 1995 and has so far not reported serious violations of safety standards there. The head of its European department noted "a great deal of understanding" with the Armenian authorities during a visit to Yerevan in October 2002.

However–the European Union and the United States continue to press for Medzamor’s closure–saying that its light-water reactor is one the most dangerous facilities of its kind in the world. EU and US financial assistance has been key to the nuclear safety measures taken there over the past decade.

El Baradei said he did not discuss with Kocharian possible dates for the plant’s decommissioning. "I think the Armenian authorities would like to continue to operate the reactor for around ten years," he said. "It is for Armenia to decide when to shut down the reactor. Of course–there is concern about its safety and that is why we are working with them to make sure that safety is improved to an acceptable international level."

Deputy Energy Minister Areg Galstian announced late last month that Yerevan is already making preparations for the start of what promises to be a very costly decommissioning process. He said it will be complete by 2016.

El Baradei’s itinerary in Armenia also included visits to Medzamor and an oncology clinic in Yerevan that has just been supplied by IAEA with modern radio-therapy equipment. The 62-year-old Egyptian–who looks set to run IAEA for a third term despite US opposition–said he also discussed his agency’s "active program to protect against illicit trafficking of nuclear material" through Armenia. It was not clear if IAEA views the country as a potential transit route for illegal supplies to neighboring Iran whose controversial nuclear program is facing close international scrutiny.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

*

Top