Council of Europe to Assess Julfa Destruction

BAKU (Combined Sources)–A delegation led by Robert Palmer, Council of Europe Director for Culture, Cultural and Natural Heritage Tuesday visited Azerbaijan, where he announced that the Council of Europe’s Ministerial Cabinet will visit the region in September to assess the destruction of historical monumen’s in Azerbaijan and Armenia.

The Armenian cemetery in Julfa was razed to the ground by Azeri soldiers in December 2005 and to date, some 3500 khachkars have demolished and the cemetery was transformed into a firing ground

Earlier this year, Armenian foreign minister Eduard Nalbandian said the destruction of Armenian cemeteries and khatchkars in Julfa in Nakhichevan is nothing but medieval barbarism.

He said that Armenian has provided UNESCO with all necessary information on the issue.

“Despite Armenia and Karabakh’s efforts, Azerbaijan continuously hinders a UNESCO mission called to clarify the situation with the historical and cultural monumen’s,” Nalbandian told reporters.

Palmer said during the meeting that Azerbaijan and Armenia have made commitmen’s not to destroy cultural heritage. According to Palmer, the list of destroyed cultural monumen’s introduced by the parties will be studied by the Council of Europe mission.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

*

Top