Turkish Security Officials Face Dink Murder Inquiry

ISTANBUL (Reuters)–Two Turkish security officials are facing investigation over last year’s murder of Turkish Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, state-run news agency Anatolian said on Sunday.

The pair, named only as Colonel A.O. and Captain M.Y., are suspected of "hiding information and failing to act" on reports Dink was in danger, Anatolian quoted Trabzon governor Nuri Okutan as saying.

The probe is one of the first into allegations that police failed to act on a tip off about the threat to Dink, who was shot dead outside his Istanbul office in January 2007.

According to the court indictment, one of the defendants in the Dink case acted as a police informer and told police of plans to assassinate the editor in the months before the murder.

Dink received numerous death threats due to articles urging Turkey to accept responsibility for Genocide of Armenia’s by Ottoman Turks and Kurds in 1915.

The investigation comes as the military is under increasing scrutiny following a wave of detentions and arrests that have targeted several retired army officers for allegedly planning a coup to topple to ruling the government.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

*

Top