ANCA Welcomes Charges of Genocide Against Sudan’s President

Sudan's leader Omar al-Bashir

* Joins Anti-Genocide Groups in Urging State Department to Take Immediate Action to Prevent Further Atrocities In Sudan
 
WASHINGTON—The Armenian National Committee of America Monday welcomed the International Criminal Court’s decision to expand its existing arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir to include three counts of genocide, in addition to the crimes against humanity and war crimes charges leveled in March of last year.

“Armenian Americans welcome the International Criminal Court’s decision today to indict Sudan’s President, Omar al Bashir, on charges of genocide,” said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian. “We are hopeful that this indictment, the first ever issued by the ICC for genocide, will lead to both decisive action against the al-Bashir regime’s ongoing genocide against the people of Darfur, and, more broadly, to increased pressure on governments worldwide to work for a world in which genocide cannot be committed with impunity.”

In a July 12 ruling, the ICC stated: “there are reasonable grounds to believe [Omar al-Bashir] responsible for three counts of genocide committed against the Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa ethnic groups, that include: genocide by killing, genocide by causing serious bodily or mental harm and genocide by deliberately inflicting on each target group conditions of life calculated to bring about the group’s physical destruction.”

Despite the 2009 ICC arrest warrant, al-Bashir has travelled with virtual impunity to neighboring countries, though a planned visit to Turkey last year was cancelled following international pressure. The Ankara and Khartoum regimes have grown markedly closer over the past three years, with Turkey continuing to supply lethal weaponry to Sudan. Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly defended al-Bashir and Turkey’s close ties with the genocidal regime, stating “It’s not possible for a Muslim to commit genocide.”

The ANCA is joining the Save Darfur Coalition in calling on the U.S. government, the U.N. and the international community to make clear to the Sudanese government that any retaliation for the new warrant against civilians, humanitarian groups or U.N. personnel will not be tolerated. Concerned anti-genocide activists should call the U.S. Department of State at 202-647-4000 and urge Secretary Clinton to make protection of vulnerable groups a priority.

Anti-Genocide activists are also encouraged to attend the July 14 White House Vigil, organized by Voices for Sudan, to call attention to the plight of the Darfuri people and urge the international community to take immediate action to assist the ICC in bringing al-Bashir to justice. The vigil will be held from noon to 1 pm at Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House. For more information, visit Voices for Sudan partner, Africa Action’s website: www.africaaction.org.



Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

4 Comments

  1. Ashot Grigoryan said:

    Put Omar al-Bashir and his body-body Tayyip Erdogan on trial for committing Genocides against humanity.
    These two have the same track records!

  2. Ariel Beera said:

    the decisions taken by ICC are always wecomed but the court at heague does not follow up what they have decided seriously. i am totally disappointed by Bashir savage activities toward African region of Darfur. should ICC this time successfully take president Bashir to the court; i personally, would award the ICC with great praisal.

  3. Pingback: Sudan president faces genocide charge – CNN International | The Fresno News

*

Top