300 Families in Armenia’s Earthquake Recovery Zone Get New Homes

GYUMRI, Armenia (RFE/RL)–More than 300 families in Armenia’s northern Lori province received new houses and apartments on Friday over two decades after a powerful earthquake that destroyed their homes.

Nearly half of them reside in Spitak, a small town razed by the December 1988 earthquake that killed some 25,000 people and made hundreds of thousands of others homeless in Lori and neighboring Shirak province. The others are residents of nearby villages still bearing traces of the calamity.

Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian handed ownership certificates for newly built houses in one of those villages, Sarahart. Speaking at an official ceremony held there, Sarkisian emphasized the fact that last year’s economic crisis did not halt the implementation of a government plan to essentially complete the protracted reconstruction of the earthquake zone.

According to government data, more than 7,000 families in Lori and Shirak lived in shacks and other temporary shelters before the launch of the $250 million construction scheme in 2008. About 5,300 of them are due to receive new housing free of charge by 2013.

In Gyumri, the capital of Shirak which bore the brunt of the earthquake, more than a thousand families moved into newly construct apartments in May. The government has pledged to build another 2,000 apartments by the end of next year.

The waiting list for new housing is shorter in Lori. It includes roughly 100 households in Spitak and 800 others in rural areas.

Some 80 other Spitak families were controversially left out of the scheme on the grounds that they submitted no documentary evidence of property loss in 1988. Urban Development Minister Vartan Vartanian told RFE/RL’s Armenian service that they still have time to produce documents that would make them eligible for new homes.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

2 Comments

  1. Berge Minasian said:

    This is really exciting news for those families who lost homes in the earthquake. But what about the hundreds of families still living in metal shipping containers who might not have been victims of the earthquake but are refugees from the war? These tragic families have no hope for relief because they cannot produce documentation regarding their status prior to the earthquake. They are however, Armenians nevertheless! I know first hand about such families living in Vanadzor. They are the forgotten ones and to the shame of all of us, they represent the lingering national disgrace in Armenia. Let’s all raise our voices and eradicate this terrible condition.

*

Top