Azerbaijan Responds to Medvedev’s Proposal on Karabakh

Azeri Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov

MOSCOW—Azeri Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov presented his president’s response to a proposal on the Nagorno-Karabakh peace talks drafted by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev during talks Monday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

“Russia helps the countries search for a solution within the framework of the OSCE in cooperation with the United States and France,” Lavrov said, adding that the Russian side is studying Azeri President Ilham Aliyev’s response, reported Rossia 24 TV.

“The Nagorno Karabakh resolution is a priority issue for Russia. The project of Basic Principles starts from the willingness of the parties to work on the peace treaty. We continue our efforts in the context of relations with both parties and as a co-chairing country of the OSCE Minsk Group,” the Russian Foreign Minister stated.

Mammadyarov said, that “not everything depends on Azerbaijan. We have to wait for Armenia’s response to the same proposals, but we think there is progress in the talks, and we are gradually moving to the line, where everyone will come to understand that no one benefits from the status quo.”

“We must continue the discussions on issues we have not yet agreed upon. It’s time for us to start working out a legal agreement – a peace treaty. The peace treaty will become a serious signal about entering the final stage of the talks,” said Mammadyarov who said stability in the region is important first of all for Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Medvedev’s proposal was presented to Armenia and Azerbaijan when Lavrov traveled to the region earlier this month. The contents of the Medvedev proposal have not been made public.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

One Comment;

  1. Norin Radd said:

    Now why would the contents of a document that is supposedly “for the good of the region and its people” namely, the Armenians of Arstakh (FORMERLY known as Nagorno-Karabagh) be kept from public view? How can proposal content such as this that is made “for the people” be kept a secret FROM the people?

    Armenians in Armenia, Arstakh, and worldwide should be following these developements like hawks and be ready to strike out in any shape or form should our collective rights be trampled on or trifled with. Anytime any international agreement is kept this “hush hush”, there surely is one group getting set up to be screwed by the “greater powers”, historic presedence attests to this fact.

    There is a very bitter pill being forged for Armenians, once it is complete, its creators will lay it all out all of a sudden and urge the Armenian people to “take your pill”. We must be ready on all fronts to defend our rights at any cost and with any means at our disposal. War is never a good thing and it should always be a last resort, however, if the blood we shed in defending our land, way of life, and our people 20 years ago on the fields of Shahumian are to be put to waste by politically cornering us to give back even an inch of land we fought to defend and liberate, then it is better to go to war again rather than put to waste all of the effort and deaths of our brothers and sisters that took place on the battlefields of Arstakh.

    The loss of Arstakh could spell an impending doom and end to Armenians everywhere, this was true 20 years ago and it is still true today. The loss of Arstakh will have catastrophic and far reaching effects detrimental to our people’s survival. Be ready Armenians, BE READY!

*

Top