Karabakh Tourism Jumps 50 Percent

A Morrocan tourist is flanked by schoolchildren in Stepanakert in October, 2010 (Ara Khachatourian photo)

STEPANAKERT (RFE/RL)—The number of foreign tourists visiting Nagorno-Karabakh jumped by almost 50 percent in the first half of this year following a similarly sharp rise recorded in 2010, Karabakh authorities said Monday.

“More than 3,000 foreigners visited Nagorno-Karabakh in the first half of 2011, a 49 percent increase from the same period of 2010,” the Foreign Ministry of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic said in a statement.

“Compared to the same period of the previous year [2009,] the first half of 2010 was also marked by a significant 45 per cent increase in tourist numbers,” it added.

The official figures do not include residents of Armenia, who also appear to be travelling to Karabakh in larger numbers these days.

According to the statement, the foreigners who visited Karabakh this year are citizens of more than two dozen countries, notably the United States, France, Russia and Iran. The latter have sizable Armenian communities.

The statement also spoke of a growing tourist influx from more unlikely places like Japan, China and New Zealand.

Karabakh’s main tourist attractions are mountainous scenery, medieval Armenian monasteries as well as a cave complex thought to be the site of one of the most ancient proto-human habitations in Eurasia. They are located several dozen kilometers away from the heavily militarized “line of contact” separating Karabakh and Azerbaijani forces. Small arms skirmishes between them are reported on a virtually daily basis.

The foreign ministry noted with satisfaction that foreigners are showing “increasing interest” in Karabakh despite “obstacles created by the authorities of Azerbaijan.”

The Azerbaijani authorities regard private or business trips to Karabakh not authorized by them as a breach of Baku’s internationally recognized sovereignty over the disputed territory. Dozens of foreign dignitaries have been declared personae no grata in Azerbaijan for ignoring these warnings.

Just last week, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry blacklisted four members of France’s parliament who toured Karabakh and called for international recognition of its independence.

The Karabakh statement expressed confidence that the forthcoming reopening of Karabakh’s sole airport will “greatly facilitate” further development of the local tourism industry. A senior Karabakh official told RFE/RL’s Armenian service (Azatutyun.am) earlier this month that its ongoing reconstruction will be completed by the end of September.

The airport located 8 kilometers east of Stepanakert was shut down in late 1991, at the start of Armenian-Azerbaijani war. Karabakh’s transport communication with the outside world has since been carried out by land, via Armenia.

Authors

Discussion Policy

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. Though you are fully responsible for the content you post, comments that include profanity, personal attacks or other inappropriate material will not be permitted. Asbarez reserves the right to block users who violate any of our posting standards and policies.

2 Comments

  1. Stepan said:

    This is good news as it increases the visibility of Artsakh and brings money into the country. More people are discovering what a truly beautiful place it is. They are amazing people full of faith, hope and determination. Artsakh will continue to develop and move forward. One day the political process will catch up to accept the reality of Artsakh. May God continue to bless these heroes.

  2. Chris Manougian said:

    Am very glad to hear that our Artsax growing . I was their just
    Few days ago lovely place growing ,people are great .,I advice tourists Armenian and non to go
    Experience this wonderful land and it’s nature for people who likes calmness, mountains ,nature ,mideavel Churchs .
    May God bless and protect us to reach our goals .

*

Top