STEPANAKERT (Combined Sources)—The Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Armed Forces reported an attack on Karabakh position by Azeri forces Saturday that left two Azeri soldiers dead and became the second such breach of the cease-fire by Azerbaijan in one week.
Terming it “sabotage” by Azeri forces, the Karabakh army said the deadly clashes, in which land mines were set off by Azeris, took place in the same area as an attack last Tuesday, which claimed the lives of seven Azeri soldiers.
Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry confirmed on Saturday that one of its soldiers had been killed but said the attack was initiated by the Armenian side and set off a heavy exchange of gunfire. Private Azerbaijani television station ANS TV reported on Saturday that a wounded Azerbaijani soldier later died in the hospital.
Armenia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Shavarsh Kocharian urged international attention on the continued cease-fire violation by Azerbaijan.
“In the current situation, both the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic and the Republic of Armenia are ready to respond to any action from the other side, whether it be an armed provocation or diplomatic steps on the international level,” he said. “I think the situation has gone too far that the time has come for the international community and mediators to make certain statements, because one of the sides [in the negotiation process] is trying to disrupt it. The Armenian side is ready for negotiations, for a compromise decision.”