YEREVAN—The Armenian Revolutionary Federation unveiled its platform for the upcoming May 5 Yerevan Municipal Elections, in which the party will take part with its own slate of candidates.
Below is the announcement and the platform:
Fellow citizens of Yerevan,
The May 5 Yerevan municipal elections will determine not only the capital’s prospect of development, but that of the entire Armenia, as well. It is time for decisive and radical changes in our country. It is time for Yerevan.
This election is a unique referendum about trusting the ruling regime. It is time to voice our protest against the political monocracy, the contaminated system of values, the complacency of the authorities and the non productive governance. Victory in Yerevan means victory in the whole of Armenia. The aspiration to see the new face of Yerevan and Armenia will very soon become a reality. It simply needed to express will, be determined and show that the people of Yerevan do not want to keep living in the present way any longer.
Let’s start the campaign of victory from Yerevan. Let’s change Yerevan; Yerevan will change Armenia, for sure.
Fellow citizens of Yerevan,
ARF-D is resolute. Our proposed project are bold, ambitious and at the same time they are solid and realistic. We are not making lavish promises, we are suggesting solutions. We know what must be done. We are well aware of the problems the people of Yerevan face and we know how to solve them.
We are a team, we have the willpower to do more, to do better than what has been done so far. Just compare ARF-D with the rest and you will be convinced that we are different, we do not deceive, we do not betray.
Fellow citizens of Yerevan,
On May 5, vote in favor of change.
Vote for Your freedom, Your well being.
Vote for justice and for ARF-D.
We will not let you down.
For once, this time, give your vote to ARF-D.
In anticipation of the Yerevan people’s vote of confidence, ARF-D will see to the solution of the following urgent issues:
System of governance
- create a standing committee to control the budget of the municipality of Yerevan granting its leadership to the opposition as well as incorporating in it representatives of civic organizations and experts,
- protect the residential reserve, make available to the condominiums the reconstruction service resources with the direct participation of the residents. Condominiums must not serve as election instrument for the authorities,
- give autonomy to the educational structure that is subordinate to the municipality, decentralize it, optimize the mechanisms of control and accountability,
- create public order community service (municipal police) and establish order in the capital, according to the law on Yerevan governance,
- extend the jurisdictions and give a real work field to the administration personnel.
- increase Yerevan’s budget essentially, provide transparency and public disclosure across all the stages of budget performance, pass to budget-drawing based on programming (finance projects according to results),
- apply different methods such as shares, bonds, loans etc. for the financing of citywide projects,
- in Yerevan budget expenses give priority to: creating jobs, providing high-quality services, protecting the residential reserve, improving the city’s sanitary and environmental levels, solving the major problem of transport.
Construction, environment, transport
- strictly control construction activities, restore the capital’s environment, stop the degradation of the city’s historical-cultural character,
- prohibit construction activities within the Small Center area, put an end to local approach regarding constructions, clean Yerevan from illegal or arbitrary buildings, expand green areas and play yards, draw common blueprints for attics,
- implement a full scale inventory of the residential reserve elements, disclose and prevent seismic risks, draw an overall project for the restoration and protection of the residential reserve,
- make the social residential reserve a municipal responsibility,
- along with the government, elaborate and invest in the concept of the residential reserve by allocating at least 10% of the construction activities’ volume,
- set construction, national architectural-cultural protection special zones, during construction period secure effective mechanisms so that the people are aware and participate through the process,
- register house ownership for those citizens whose residents were registered without ownership right,
- implement garbage removal on a daily basis, apply contemporary methods for the sanitary cleaning of streets, underground passages, yards and residences, introduce an ecologically clean system for garbage recycling,
- until 2017, at least double the green areas and water surfaces,
- create recreational zones, one of them for children, at Dalma and Nork,
- organize: the protection and effective use of water reserve, the ease of water balance pressure, the prevention of water loss, the identification of sources of pollution, the implementation of countering and prevention measures, the full use of the Aeratsia station,
- regulate the function of pantheon venues and cemeteries, change completely the existing disgraceful situation of the sector,
- shape Yerevan circuit as well as draw a new road network connecting Zvartnots airport, outside the inhabited areas,
- construct new metro lines and stations.
Public health and social protection
- implementation of effective mechanisms for the social residential reserve, provide free-of-charge residences (without the right to transfer or use for other purposes), to large families of young couples,
- subsidize the most socially vulnerable taking under consideration the minimum limit for natural gas, water and electricity use required for living,
- empower the capacities of organizations providing daycare for children (kindergartens, long-day school groups; provide professional daycare for children with special needs), elevate the quality of the relevant services,
- modernize institutions that provide care to the elderly as well as of the in-house care system, shape a network of recreational places for the elderly,
- provide once and for all, an appropriate environment for people with mobility impairment,
- allocate financial assistance to civic organizations that deal with disability issues,
- enhance the capacities and the quality of the supplied services of primary healthcare, implement an overall project for the development of the healthcare system.
Education and youth
- develop the system of pre-school institutions, broaden the scale of children enrollment, apply common standards,
- expand the network of cultural-scientific educational centers, increase the number of attendees,
- raise the budgetary and off-budgetary resources of the educational institutions as well as their effectiveness, develop the social protection system of teachers and staff,
- implement an active policy for youth employment,
- support the realization of scientific and creative projects of talented young people.