YEREVAN (Noyan Tapan)–A delegation from Odessa–Ukraine–headed by Mayor of Odessa Ruslan Bodelan arrived in Yerevan Thursday. The delegation includes officials of the Odessa Mayor’s Office–member of the city legislative body–intellectuals–and businessmen. The delegation is also accompanied by Armenian Ambassador to Ukraine Hrach Silvanian and Leader of the Ukrainian diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church–Bishop Nathan Hovhannissian.
The cooperation agreement between Yerevan and Odessa was signed as far back as 1995–but no practical steps have since been made to turn the agreement into reality. The Odessa delegation’s current visit is aimed at changing the situation and establishing business relations between the two cities.
The delegation visited the Yerevan Municipality where they met with Yerevan Mayor Albert Bazeyan. The guests pointed out the importance of cooperation between the two cities in economic–cultural and health protection spheres. Bazeyan stressed the importance of establishing mutually advantageous ties between producers and businessmen from Yerevan and Odessa. The meeting in the Yerevan Municipality ended in an exchange of souvenirs with symbols of the two cities.
Armenian Prime Minister Andranik Margarian also held a meeting with the delegation from Odessa lead by Mayor of Odessa Ruslan Bodelan. The prime minister hailed the intention of the leadership and business community of Odessa to strengthen the relations with Yerevan.
Attending the meeting was president of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences–head of the Kotayk regional administration.
The Armenian prime minister reminded the guests about the agreemen’s on cooperation in different spheres. Recently–agreemen’s were reached with Ukrainian Prime Minister Yuschenko at the CIS Summit in Moscow. Mayor of Odessa Ruslan Bodelan pointed out that his country’s leadership is willing to cooperate with Armenia.
Prospects of cooperation will also be discussed during another meeting with the delegation. The delegation will also visit St. Echmiadzin–the memorial to the victims of the 1915 Genocide–Matenadaran–Garni–and Geghard.