ANKARA (ArmRadio)—Official Ankara has prepared a 10-point diplomatic note outlining talking points and protocols of action for Turkish diplomats to follow when discussing or dealing with issue of the Armenian Genocide, the BBC’s Russian service has learned.
The document prepared by the Turkish Foreign Ministry lists rules and recommendations that Turkish embassy staff must adhere to when responding to journalists’ questions on the genocide. It also encourages a pro-active approach to co-opt Armenian Diaspora communities and organizations.
According to the BCC, Turkish officials should emphasize the importance of Turkish-Armenian relations, as well as focus on Turkey’s proposal to establish a historical commission to discuss “the mutual history between Armenia and Turkey.”
The commission, considered a pre-condition by Ankara for establishing relations with Yerevan, would seek to question the veracity of the Armenian Genocide analysts close to the issue warn.
The guidelines will also serve as diplomatic protocol for Turkish officials on foreign trips or on government assignment, the Turkish Hurriyet Daily reported.
We provide the 10 directives below as they were reported by Hurriyet:
1) Contact and maintain ties with representatives of the Armenian lobby in your country of residence. Invite them to your events.
2) Visit their events and try to explain Turkey’s position.
3) Representatives of the Armenian Diaspora abroad are divided into three groups. The first has made business on the issue of genocide and the second group includes people who arrived from Turkey and still have ties with our country and the third group is a category of people who are hostile against Turkey. Contact the representatives of all these groups and invite them to visit Turkey.
4) In the country of residence, also contact Armenian diplomats and invite them to your events
5) Do not avoid contacts with the Armenian and pro-Armenian press and try to explain them Turkey’s position in your statements.
6) Also contact the community of your country of residence to explain the 1915 events.
7) Be in a constant contact with the diplomats of the Balkan, Central Asian, Middle Eastern and other countries close to Turkey and try to resist Armenian propaganda through joint efforts.
8) Concentrate on the protocols signed with Armenia and remind the point of creation of the historical commission to study genocide.
9) Also explain the essence of the Turkish policy in the Caucasus which wants to establish peace in this region.
10) Speak of the need to settle the Karabakh conflict to establish peace in the region in your country of residence.