Organized by the ARF Christapor Gomideh and the Board of Trustees of the St. Gregory Armenian Apostolic Church of San Francisco–and supported by the Krouzian-Zekarian-Vasbouragan Armenian School–organizations and friends–an unveiling ceremony of the bust of patron Hratch Tarpinian took place on March 29.
Mr. Tarpinian–the principal benefactor of the school’s middle school constructed in 1985–lived modestly to donate most of his life’s savings–close to $1 million–to the school.
Born in Vasbouragan in 1901–Tarpinian fought for Armenia’s independence in 1918–then left Yerevan to travel to the United States–first New York–then Detroit–and ultimately to San Francisco in 1947. He died there in 1988.
The courtyard of the school will be home to the sculpted bust of Hratch Tarpinian.
After the formal unveiling–a reception was held to honor and commemorate all benefactors who have assisted in building the San Francisco Armenian community. On the occasion–Yervant and Vergine Misserlian donated $25,000 to the San Francisco community center’s Hai Tahd office.