YEREVAN (Noyan Tapan)–The campaign staff of Acting President–Prime Minister–and presidential candidate Robert Kocharian viewed the statement issued by five presidential candidates as a poor attempt to cast doubt on the election outcome and deliver a heavy blow to the country’s prestige.
Kocharian’s campaign spokesman Aghvan Vardanian–commenting on the joint statement of five presidential candidates including Baruyr Hairikian–Sergey Badalian–David Shahnazarian–Vazgen Manoukian and Karen Demirchian–observed that the statement–which was issued at 9 pm–reached mass media only three hours later.
"It is surprising that the five candidates–without any actual grounds–make allegations regarding numerous breaches and an atmosphere of threat during the polls," said Vardanian. According to him–the election process was normal–free and fair countrywide. Vardanian mentioned that isolated incidents committed by supporters of the candidates are so few that they can’t have any impact on the election outcome.
The CEC has received only five or six complaints from the country’s 1,600 polling stations. Kocharian’s campaign staff suggested that as of 1:30 pm–on Tuesday–very few written applications or complaints had been submitted to regional election commissions. "Election returns will be submitted to the CEC in an orderly manner and we are certain that isolated cases will not be of essential significance," said Vardanian.