Lavrov Hails Karabakh as Viable Transit Route
In statement issued on Tuesday, Russia’s Defense Ministry confirmed another ceasefire violation in Artsakh, Azatutyun.am’s Armenian service reported.
According to that statement, on August 16, at 9 p.m. (local) “a skirmish was registered between the armed groups of Nagorno Karabakh and the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan” around Shushi which reportedly lasted about 15 minutes. The incident was settled with the support of the Russian peacekeeping mission, no one was injured.
The statement, however, does not specify which side was the first to violate the ceasefire.
In another statement issued last week, the Russian Defense Ministry said that Azerbaijani armed forces used strike drones against Artsakh Defense Army positions.
“In the area of responsibility of the Russian peacekeeping mission, coordinated work is being carried out with the headquarters of the armed forces of Armenia and Azerbaijan to prevent possible incidents,” the Defense Ministry said.
The Russian government on Tuesday reported that the deputy prime ministers of Armenia, Russia and Azerbaijan, Mher Grigoryan, Alexei Overchuk and Shahin Mustafayev are continuing talks on the so-called “opening of transport communications link in the South Caucasus,” which stem from an agreement signed by the leaders of the three countries on January 11 in Moscow.
In other related news, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called on Russian trucking and transport companies to pay attention to the transit potential of Nagorno-Karabakh as viable alternatives, TASS reported on Tuesday.
“Active work on the restoration of infrastructure and highways is under way there, so please take a closer look at this promising territory. It will, in my opinion, have obvious economic benefits,” Lavrov said at a meeting with the Association of International Trucking Companies.
“It is important that the economic development of this part of our immediate neighborhood proceeds with active Russian participation,” Lavrov added.