BAKU (News.az)–The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry has acknowledged that Turkey is unlikely to become a co-chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group mediating the Nagorno- Karabakh conflict.
“The agreement of both sides of the conflict, i.e. Azerbaijan and Armenia, is needed to change the format of the Minsk Group. In this case Armenia is against the inclusion of Turkey in the format, as it has repeatedly said,” Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Elkhan Polukhov told 1news.az on Saturday.
He was commenting on remarks by Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrey Nesterenko last week indicating that Moscow had never received a proposal from Azerbaijan to include Turkey as an OSCE Minsk Group co-chair.
“Anyway, the agreement of all parties is needed in order to make this proposal a reality. Considering that the ratification of the protocols on the normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations has been suspended, such an agreement is unlikely,” Nesterenko was quoted as saying.
Azerbaijan has recently criticized the OSCE Minsk Group–lead by Russia, France and the USA—for siding with Armenia in the conflict.