YEREVAN (Armenpress)–A spokesperson for the Armenian Foreign Ministry Vladimir Karapetian Tuesday told Armenpress that UNESCO had approved a delegation to visit Nakhichevan to assess the condition of destroyed Armenian cultural monumen’s there. He added that the date of the mission was not yet determined.
Karapetian explained that Armenia had been hard at work to persuade UNESCO to send a mission to the region to assess the condition of the Armenian cultural monumen’s in Old Julfa in Nakhichevan.
Karapetian said that it was not a secret that the Armenian monumen’s were being systematically destroyed in the Azeri-controlled territory, especially in Nakhichevan, adding that the leadership of Armenia had addressed this issue in international forums, including UNESCO, the UN and European establishmen’s.
Letters were sent to the general director of the UNESCO in 1998, in 2002 and in 2005 presenting the situation and urging the body to take steps for stopping the cultural genocide of the Armenian monumen’s in Nakhichevan.
Karapetian explained that measures to draw international attention to the problem finally paid of in 2006 when a delegation arrived in the region to monitor the situation.
Karapetian also said that Armenia included a request from UNESCO to also visit the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, in order to assess the damage that had been done, throughout the decades of Azeri rule in the region.
Karapetian said that in a letter to UNESCO, Armenian Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian expressed Armenia’s willingness to organize the monitoring mission.